Personal Attention To All Of Your Divorce And Family Law Matters
At The Law Office of Jeffrey Scott Thompson, PLLC, we provide experienced and compassionate counsel in divorce and family law matters for men and women throughout Franklin County and the surrounding communities. We value the relationship we build with every client, and with us you know you have a lawyer you can trust. Contact our office today to schedule a confidential consultation.
Divorce And Family Law
In our experience, men and women who can work together to resolve their differences during a divorce have a much better chance of a successful long-term solution. Even though you are no longer married, you still have a financial relationship, or possibly a permanent bond if children are involved. Though we are always prepared to take your case to trial, we will encourage you to find ways to settle your disputes without the intervention of the court so that together we hold the power to negotiate and determine the outcome of your case.
Our attorneys represent men and women at all stages of a divorce, from the decision to file through post-judgment requests for modification or enforcement of existing orders. We handle most matters related to or arising out of divorce, including:
- Child custody: We will help you establish temporary custody upon filing, as well as permanent custody arrangements. Together, we will work to create a plan that is in the best interests of your children while protecting your rights as a parent. If your situation changes after the divorce becomes final, we will work with you to get court approval to modify custody.
- Visitation: We will help you structure a visitation agreement that meets the educational, medical and special needs of your child, but also affords you meaningful parenting time. We work with custodial and non-custodial parents, as well as stepparents and grandparents.
- Child support: In North Carolina, child support is calculated using state guidelines. We will work with you to ensure that the guidelines are followed and that all income is properly considered. We will also help you seek a deviation from the guidelines when circumstances call for it. We also assist clients with child support enforcement and child support modification actions.
- Adoption: We advise and represent stepparents, grandparents and other third parties in all matters related to adoption. We will get to know your specific circumstances and those of the child to help you make informed decisions regarding the adoption process.
We work with men and women in situations involving allegations of domestic violence or abuse. Though most of our work here is defense work, we do represent both sides in these matters. We will guide you through the process of petitioning for and obtaining a domestic violence protection order or an ex parte domestic violence order, or will help you contest the entry of such an order.
In our experience, domestic violence order issues are often coupled with criminal charges or other ramifications. Please see our criminal defense page to learn more about how we can protect your constitutional rights.
Other Family Law Representation
We also handle:
- Negotiation, review and preparation of:
- Settlement agreements in uncontested divorces
- Separation agreements
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
For strong but compassionate counsel in divorce and family law matters in Franklin County and the surrounding communities in North Carolina, contact our office to set up a confidential consultation. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover and can process payments over the phone.